Friday, February 5, 2010

Coupon Strategy: Overage & Trial Sizes

Overage is sort of like the holy grail of couponing. It's not easy to achieve but when it does, I swear you can hear angels sing.

Overage is when you have a coupon that is worth more than the item it's for. Rarely do the manufacturer's plan for this to happen, but they don't exactly prevent it either.

It's best shown by a few examples.

We'll start off simple. Take this Neutrogena coupon. I'm sure the manufacturer expects me to use it on a $7 body wash or $5 tube of lipstick, but I'm a true couponer, I try to spend as little as humanly possible. Instead of buying a larger size, I'll head on over to the trial size aisle and pick up a .5oz tube of Neutrogena face wash or lotion priced at .99. When most stores scan my coupon they'll give me the full face value of $2 off my total. That will give me an overage of $1.01 (you can also think of this as a $1.01 MONEYMAKER).


Word to the wise: read your coupons carefully. This tactic doesn't always work. Some coupons will specify a certain size, like the Scope coupon, or will allow you to buy any size BUT the trial size like the Olay coupon.





If it doesn't specify, I go for the tiniest bottle possible every time.

Most people go down the travel size aisle only when going on vacation. Me, I've walked down those aisles so many times I can tell you from memory that a travel-sized version of Tide is .97 and you can buy a Johnson & Johnson first aid kit for $1.99 in most stores.

And you don't always have to resort to mini-versions of products to get overage either.

Take this $4/1 pkg of any style Knox product coupon. The products featured on the coupon are $10+ (glocasmine powder and caplets for joint health). I would never buy these products in a million years. BUT...Knox also makes cooking-grade gelatin. You can find it on the tippy-top shelf right above the boxes of Jello. The smallest box they offer is priced at $1.39. When I use my $4 off coupon that will result in an overage of $2.61!


Sometimes, in order to make the most of what you've got, you've got think outside (or in this case-smallest) box.

1 comment:

  1. I missed this article somehow, I think I'm starting to get it now. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete